Friday, January 20, 2012

Samcedes Episode Analysis: 2.13 Comeback (Part 1)

Samcedes Episodes Analysis: 2.13 Comeback (Part 1)

by Akilah

Sam: Mr. Scheuster writes "Regressar," on the board in the beginning of the episode. He says that it means to "come back." In this episode Sam tries to make a "comeback" into Quinn's heart. But what Mr. Schuester fails to point out is that "regressar" also means to regress. Sam's attempt to maintain Quinn's interests leads him to regress and undermine some of the character growth he has achieved thus far. This regression will put him into a new relationship that is an even more cynical version of the relationship he has with Quinn. But as the old adage goes, sometimes we take one step forward and two steps back. Let's look at Sam in 2.13.

Sam sees Quinn in the hallway and greets her with a kiss on the cheek. "I want to confirm our date on Friday at Color Me Mine," he says. Quinn stares at him in disbelief, "Wait, you were serious about that," she says. "It's painting coasters time," Sam says. Quinn looks at him like shes seeing him for the first time. Its as if she doesn't even know him or why shes dating him.

"So, we good for Friday?" Sam says. Quinn gives a reluctant "yeah." "I think so, I mean, I don't think I have anything else to do." Showing that she's not really interested in spending time with Sam. He's not enough to hold her attention any longer. She walks away with a fictitious smile, masking her disinterest in him.

Sam has  a voice over and says "things have been weird ever since Quinn got Mono. People keep telling me that she must have kissed Finn, but I believe her when she told me what really happened." We then see Quinn and Sam sitting at the piano side by side, neither one looking at the other. Sam looks angry and is staring straight ahead. Quinn is looking out into the distance as she tells him her version of events. "I didn't kiss Finn, Sam. I saved his life." We see the story Quinn has fabricated. Finn is at his kissing booth and chokes on a gumball. Quinn comes to the rescue and sucks the ball out of his mouth.

"I totally almost choked on a gumball once," Sam says. Its sad to see how sincere he is. He desperately wants to believe her. He chooses to see the best in Quinn. We see Quinn's reaction and at first she looks guilty, like she knows she shouldn't be playing games with someone so earnest. Especially someone who really cares about her and sees the best in her. But then she laughs. She clearly thinks Sam is a joke.

"I just get the feeling that I'm losing her. I can't let that happen." We see Quinn greet Finn and she looks genuinely interested and happy to see him. Its a contrast to the way she greeted Sam earlier in the episode. Sam watches the whole thing, but he still isn't ready to admit what's happening. "Quinn's the best thing that happened to me since I got to this school." Sam doesn't say that Quinn is the best thing that ever happened to him because she isn't. He frames his relationship with her within the frame of "this school." The whole romance has been predicated on fulfilling certain social roles within Mckinely. Without the school, they have no frame and no relationship. Quinn has already given up her role as head cheerleader so Sam, as her popular football player boyfriend, has to give up his role as her leading man.

Sam knows that Quinn no longer has interest in him as he is, so he decides to become someone else. He picks a new role to play and this time its Justin Beiber. Sam performs "Baby," in the choir room. He says its an anthem and "sums up our generation." Really, "Baby" is Sam's anthem about Quinn. He sings acoustically with the guitar.

"I know you love me, I know you care/ Just shout whenever and I'll be there/ You want my love, you want my heart, and we will never ever be apart."

At this verse, Quinn looks disinterested. She rolls her eyes at Sam. Perhaps because these lyrics are not reflective of how she really feels about him. Her facial expressions read "no," as she looks at him. Sam then drops the guitar and the beat picks up.

"Are we an item, girl quit playing/ We're just friends, what are you saying/ Say there's another and look right in my eyes/ My first love broke my heart for the first time/ And I was like baby, no."

Quinn responds positively at this point. We can interpret this positive response as representative of the relevancy of the lyrics in this verse. This verse is much more reflective of what is actually going on in the Sam/Quinn relationship than the verse before, when Quinn responded negatively.

"For you I would have done whatever, and I just can't believe we ain't together/ I wanna play it cool but I'm losing you/ And I'll buy you anything, I'll buy you any ring/ Please stay, baby fix me/ And just shake me down until you wake me from this bad dream/ I'm going down, down, down/ I can't believe my first love won't be around/ I thought you'd always be mine, I'm gone."

The song sums up the Quinn/Sam relationship quite well. It is their theme song. Quinn was Sam's "first love" (or the closest thing he had to love at this point) who broke his heart "for the first time." He knows that he's "losing her" but isn't quite ready to believe it yet.

Finn and Sam have a confrontation in the locker room. Finn says that "Justin Bieber sucks," and is for 12 year olds. Sam tells him that he shouldn't be "picking up on other guys girlfriends." Finn takes a jab at Sam, "I didn't kiss your girlfriend. She saved my life." Sam is definitely being made a fool of and everyone knows it.

Finn sits next to Quinn in the choir room and assumes that she'll go out with him on Friday. Quinn tells him that she hasn't decided what shes doing yet. Apparently the two have talked about going out before. She was planning to go behind Sam's back again. But now that Sam has taken on this new persona, she has renewed interest in him.

Sam and some of the new members of the Justin Bieber Experience sing "Someone To Love," These are Sam's lyrics:

"For you I'd run a thousand miles, just to get where you are/ I just need somebody to love/ I don't need too much/ I don't need nothing else/ I promise girl I swear, I just need somebody to love."

Sam is someone who needs love and loves being in love. Love is an essential part of his existence. Sam is not someone who wants to be alone. He is proud to say out loud that he needs love. He's pretty much the opposite of our favorite diva, in this regard.

After watching the performance Quinn tells Finn that she can't do Friday. She then tells Sam that she'll be there for their date at Color Me Mine.  Santana then approaches him. "So, how's everything going between you and Quinn," Santana asks. "Fine," Sam replies. Santana, always blunt, always able to "read" people and situations says, "No they're not."

Later, Quinn tells Finn that she chooses Sam. "Because of the Justin Bieber Experience?" Finn knows Quinn. She tells him that Sam is an artist, then flirtatiously whispers in his ear, "It really turns me on." If Quinn was ready to move on from Finn then she wouldn't still be flirting with him. Quinn is a girl who wants to maintain power. She doesn't want to let go of Sam and she doesn't want to let go of Finn either. Quinn wants to win, and by having both boys, she feels she can't lose.

At the library Sam shows Santana his James Earl Jones impressions. She gives him a backhanded compliment then tells him that his impressions reveal that he's actually a dork. She hit Sam at the jugular. He knows that he's a dork but tries so hard to hide it. He looks quite sad about Santana's statements, which is just what she wants.

"Which is where I come in. I hereby offer my services as a mistress." Sam tells her that he's dating Quinn. "News just in. She cheated on you." Sam denies it. "Look, I know you're dumber than a bag of wet hair," again, Santana harps on Sam's insecurities. She's very effective in her manipulation of him. She knows that she can get him to do what she want by focusing on the things he feels bad about.

"You know in your heart that she's lying. That gumball story was insane. You're choosing to believe it so you can still be with her." Santana may be a manipulative bitch, but shes honest when she wants to be and can read people like a book. Sam desperately needs to learn how to "read" people in order to become aware of their ulterior motives. This is one valuable thing that Santana will teach him in their miserable and fraudulent relationship.

Santana sweetens the deal, she offers sex and the chance "to show that pastry bag Finn that he can't mess with Sam Evans [...] because you have some buzz at this school." Santana KO's with a one-two punch. She hit on two things that drive Sam, his quest for popularity and the ability to beat Finn at something. But remember, when Sam lets those two things motivate him, he usually ends up in trouble. "Think about it," Santana says.

At the end of the episode Quinn asks Sam if she could borrow one of his shirts for their date. "We're not going to Color Me Mine, and I'm not your boyfriend," Sam says. Quinn is shocked, "Why." Sam turns to her and looks her in the face, "Because you can't look me in the eye right now and tell me that you didn't make out with Finn." Say what you will about Santana, but shes good for something. "I... I want to be with you Sam," Quinn says.

"Forget it okay. No harm no foul." Sam gives up Quinn pretty easily once he's willing to see the truth. He then speaks Navi but remembers that Santana told him not to speak it anymore. Again, Sam is choosing to be with a girl who wants to repress him, and he's going along with it in the name of popularity. This is a "regression" of his character.

Sam walks away from Quinn and the girl is left standing alone in the hall. She tried so hard to win, but ended up losing anyway. Its quite sad for Quinn more than it is for Sam. Having Sam in her life was never really about Sam, it was always about Quinn having control and winning her game. But she lost, again.

"I thought you'd always be mine. I'm gone," plays in the background. The Quinn/Sam union has officially ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment